‘El Cucuy’ has seemingly been granted his wish to fight before the end of the year.
Per UFC president Dana White speaking to ESPN, former interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson is set to square off against Charles Oliveira at UFC 256 on December 12th.
Ferguson had campaigned for a final bout in 2020 on social media and had called for a bout against new promotional signee Michael Chandler. For whatever reason, that particular bout failed to materialise and so the #3 and #6 ranked lightweight contenders will now face off.
Ferguson (25-4) saw a 12-fight winning streak come to an end in his last outing as Justin Gaethje scored a fifth-round TKO in the main event of UFC 249. ‘El Cucuy’s’ record-equalling winning run stretched for six years and saw the 36-year old defeat the likes of Edson Barboza, Rafael dos Anjos, Anthony Pettis and Donald Cerrone.
Oliveira (29-8, 1 NC) meanwhile will enter the final UFC PPV event of 2020 riding a seven-fight winning streak with all seven victories coming via stoppage. ‘Do Bronx’ last competed in March of this year where he recorded third-round submission win over Kevin Lee.
UFC 256 is now expected to feature:
- Petr Yan (c) vs. Aljamain Sterling – bantamweight championship fight
- Tony Ferguson vs. Charles Oliveira
- Junior dos Santos vs. Ciryl Gane
- Marvin Vettori vs. Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza
- Tecia Torres vs. Angela Hill
- Li Jingliang vs. Dwight Grant
- Mackenzie Dern vs. Virna Jandiroba
- Cub Swanson vs. Daniel Pineda
- Gillian Robertson vs. Andrea Lee
- Billy Quarantillo vs. Gavin Tucker
- Karl Roberson vs. Dalcha Lungiambula
- Sergey Spivak vs. Jared Vanderaa
- Chase Hooper vs. Peter Barrett