Despite being lined up for a UFC flyweight title shot earlier in the year, Joanne Calderwood is set to take a short-notice fight against another top contender.
As reported by MMAFighting, Calderwood will step-in on less than two weeks notice to face Jennifer Maia at UFC Fight Night 173 on August 1st after the Brazilian’s original opponent Vivianne Araujo tested positive for COVID-19.
Per the MMAFighting report, Araujo has experienced some symptoms of the virus, but her overall health is good.
Calderwood (14-4) had been booked to face 125 lbs champion Valentina Shevchenko in June but the coronavirus pandemic and a knee injury sustained by the champion curtailed the promotions plans. With Shevchenko sidelined, Calderwood will now look to add to a split decision win in her last outing coming against Andrea Lee in September 2019.
Maia (17-6-1) meanwhile will look to get back into the win column after seeing a two-fight winning streak snapped by Kaitly Chookagian in November.
UFC Fight Night 173, set to take place at the UFC’s Apex Centre in Las Vegas, is now slated to feature:
- Holly Holm vs. Irene Aldana
- Derek Brunson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan
- Joanne Calderwood vs. Jennifer Maia
- Vicente Luque vs. Randy Brown
- Markus Perez vs. Eric Spicely
- Ray Borg vs. Nathan Maness
- Trevin Giles vs. Jun Yong Park
- Da Un Jung vs. Ed Herman
- Frankie Saenz vs. Jonathan Martinez
- Chris Gutierrez vs. Luke Sanders
- Jamall Emmers vs. Timur Valiev