An all-Brazilian welterweight clash is in the works for the UFC’s first visit to the South American country of 2020.
As first reported by Combate, former title challenger Demian Maia is slated to take on Gilbert Burns in the co-main event of UFC: Brasilia on March 14th.
Maia (28-9) is currently on a three-fight winning streak and as a result of his most recent win against Ben Askren, the 42-year old is currently ranked as the #6 170 lbs contender. The jiu-jitsu specialist has won 14 of his professional bouts via submission and is a former ADCC champion.
Burns (17-3) meanwhile will enter the prospective match-up on a four-fight winning streak spread across two weight classes. With his first two wins coming at the lightweight limit, ‘Durinho’ moved up to 170 lbs in 2019 and quickly racked up two impressive wins. Firstly handing Alexey Kunchenko his first professional loss in August, Burns would then go on to defeat Gunnar Nelson the next month via unanimous decision. Burns is currently ranked as the #13 welterweight contender.
UFC: Brasilia is now currently expected to feature:
- Demian Maia vs. Gilbert Burns
- Johnny Walker vs. Nikita Krylov
- Jussier Formiga vs. Brandon Moreno
- Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs. Alexey Kunchenko
- Paige VanZant vs. Amanda Ribas
- Rani Yahya vs. Enrique Barzola
- Veronica Macedo vs. Bea Malecki
- Carlos Felipe vs. Jeff Hughes
- Maryna Moroz vs. Mayra Bueno Silva
- Makhmud Muradov vs. Antonio Carlos Junior