Lightweight prospect Gregor Gillespie is set for his first major test as ‘The Gift’ is slated to welcome a former lightweight title challenger back to the division.
As first reported by MMAJunkie, Gillespie is being primed to take on Kevin Lee at UFC 244 although the bout has yet to be signed off on by the promotion. UFC 244 is set to take place at Madison Square Garden on November 2nd.
Gillespie (13-0) has dominated all six of his fights under the UFC banner, winning all but his promotional debut inside the distance. The New York native last fought in January of this year where he defeated Yancy Medeiros via TKO and a bout at UFC 244 would mark his third consecutive fight in front of a hometown crowd. Gillespie is currently ranked #11 in the UFC’s lightweight rankings.
Lee (18-5) would enter UFC 244 on a two-fight losing streak with his most recent bout coming at the welterweight limit in May 2019. ‘The Motown Phenom’ is now set to return to 155 lbs where he holds a 10-4 record including a failed interim title bid against Tony Ferguson.
UFC 244 is now expected to feature:
- Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Darren Till
- Stephen Thompson vs. Vicente Luque
- Gregor Gillespie vs. Kevin Lee
- Derrick Lewis vs. Blagoy Ivanov
- Corey Anderson vs. Johnny Walker
- Shane Burgos vs. Makwan Amirkhani
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
- Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Krzystof Jotko
- Julio Arce vs. Hakeem Dawodu
- Lyman Good vs. Chance Rencountre