UFC 244 has added another high-ranking welterweight contest to its ranks.
As confirmed by the UFC on it’s Brazilian Twitter account, the current #9 ranked welterweight contender Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson is set to take on the #14 ranked Vicente Luque on November 2nd in Madison Square Garden.
🚨CONFIRMADO🚨 Duelo de gigantes no Madison Square Garden! #UFC244
— UFC Brasil (@UFCBrasil) September 10, 2019
Thompson (14-4-1) will enter UFC 244 on the back of a two-fight losing streak, the first of his professional MMA career. As a result of his bout with Luque set for Madison Square Garden, the welterweight bout will mark a return to the scene of his last victory – a unanimous decision victory over Jorge Masvidal at UFC 217. It will also be the third time that Thompson has fought at M.S.G for the UFC.
Luque (17-6-1) meanwhile is currently riding a six-fight winning streak with his most recent win coming against Mike Perry in August. The Brazilian has gone 10-2 since joining the UFC in 2015 with nine of those victories coming inside the distance.
UFC 244 is now scheduled to feature:
- Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Darren Till
- Stephen Thompson vs. Vicente Luque
- Corey Anderson vs. Johnny Walker
- Derrick Lewis vs. Blagoy Ivanov
- Katlyn Chookagian vs. Jennifer Maia
- Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Krzysztof Jotko
- Lyman Good vs. Chance Rencountre
- Juilo Arce vs. Hakeem Dawodu