With a bantamweight title fight set for the main event of UFC 238, the June 8th event also looks set to decide who will be next to challenge for the 135 lbs title.
As first reported by Ariel Helwani before confirmation from Newsday, a bout between the #3 ranked bantamweight contender Aljamain Sterling and the #4 ranked Pedro Munhoz is set to be added to UFC 238 in Chicago.
Sterling (17-3) is currently on a three-fight winning streak in the UFC with only one loss in his last six outings. Since dropping a first-round knockout loss to Marlon Moraes in December 2017, Sterling has since defeated Brett Johns, Cody Stamann and most recently Jimmie Rivera. ‘Funkmaster’ claimed the ReadMMA ‘Submission of the Year’ award for his Suloev stretch on Cody Stamann last year, recording the seventh submission win of his career in the process.
Munhoz (18-3, 1 NC) will also enter UFC 238 on the back of three consecutive wins after defeating Brett Johns, Bryan Caraway and former champion Cody Garbrandt in the space of seven months. The Brazilian most recently defeated Garbrandt in the ‘Fight of the Night’ of UFC 235 in March where Munhoz scored a first round KO.
UFC 238 is now currently scheduled to feature:
- Henry Cejudo (FlW c) vs. Marlon Moraes – vacant bantamweight title fight
- Valentina Shevchenko (c) vs. Jessica Eye – flyweight title fight
- Aljamain Sterling vs. Pedro Munhoz
- Jimmie Rivera vs. Petr Yan
- Tatiana Suarez vs. Nina Ansaroff
- Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Alexa Grasso
- Tai Tuivasa vs. Blagoy Ivanov
- Katlyn Chookagian vs. Joanne Calderwood
- Ricardo Lamas vs. Calvin Kattar
- Felice Herrig vs. Xiaonan Yan