Yoel Romero’s return to the cage has been confirmed by the UFC but the 41-year old will be facing a familiar foe as opposed to his originally reported opponent.
As confirmed by UFC president Dana White to ESPN, Romero will headline UFC on ESPN 3 in Sunrise, Florida on April 27th in a rematch against Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza.
Romero had been expected to take on rising prospect Paulo Costa at the Florida event but the promotion have changed their plans in favour of running back Jacare and Romero’s 2015 bout in which the latter won via split-decision.
Romero (13-3) has been out of action through injury since a losing effort to current middleweight champion Robert Whitaker in July of last year. Since making his UFC debut in 2013, ‘The Soldier of God’ has gone 9-2 with both of his losses coming to Whittaker and all but two of his career wins have come inside the distance via KO.
Jacare (26-6, 1 NC) meanwhile has gone 4-2 since his first meeting with Romero, most recently defeating Chris Weidman at UFC 230 via third-round KO. The Brazilian fighter has defeated the likes of Tim Kennedy, Robbie Lawler and Gegard Mousasi in his career and managed to claim the Strikeforce middleweight title in 2010.
UFC: Sunrise is now currently scheduled to feature:
- Yoel Romero vs. Ronaldo Souza
- Glover Teixeira vs. Ion Cuțelaba
- John Lineker vs. Cory Sandhagen
- Alex Oliveira vs. Li Jingliang
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Augusto Sakai
- Jim Miller vs. Jason Gonzalez
- Dhiego Lima vs. Court McGee
- Jessica Penne vs. Jodie Esquibel
- Carla Esparza vs. Livia Renata Souza
- Greg Hardy vs. Dmitrii Smoliakov