After asking for a fight with Chad Mendes back in July, the UFC have granted Alexander Volkanovski’s wish four months later.
As announced by the UFC, Mendes and Volkanovski will meet in a featherweight bout at UFC 232 on December 29th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Mendes (18-4) returned from a two-year suspension at UFC Fight Night 133 and successfully recorded a first-round TKO victory against Myles Jury. ‘Money’ Mendes had been on a two-fight losing streak prior to his suspension after being on the receiving end of knockouts by Conor McGregor and Frankie Edgar.
Volkanovski (18-1) meanwhile is currently on an unbeaten five-fight streak since joining the UFC and most recently defeated Darren Elkins – also at UFC Fight Night 133 in July.
With Mendes and Volaknovski currently ranked #5 and #11 respectively in the 145 lbs division, their proposed bout will almost certainly act as a title eliminator.
UFC 232 is now currently scheduled to feature:
- Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson – light heavyweight title fight
- Cris Cyborg vs. Amanda Nunes – women’s bantamweight title fight
- Chad Mendes vs. Alexander Volkanovski
- Carlos Condit vs. Michael Chiesa
- Cat Zingano vs. Megan Anderson
- Tom Duquesnoy vs. Nathaniel Wood
- Ilir Latifi vs. Corey Anderson
- BJ Penn vs. Ryan Hall
- Uriah Hall vs. Bevon Lewis
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Walt Harris
- Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Curtis Millender
- Petr Yan vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade