The UFC 230 main event roulette wheel has landed on another title fight just four weeks removed from the Madison Square Garden PPV but not without a major fight falling out.
As first reported by ESPN, Daniel Cormier will defend his UFC heavyweight title for the first time against Derrick Lewis in the headline act of UFC 230. With the heavyweight title fight official, the UFC have moved Valentina Shevchenko back into her proposed flyweight title bout with Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 231 as opposed to a fight with Sijara Eubanks at UFC 230.
Soon after the UFC had made the main event official, however, ESPN also reported that Dustin Poirier had suffered an injury and the promotion have subsequently cancelled his scheduled bout with Nate Diaz. Many had called for the Poirier – Diaz lightweight bout to act as the main event of UFC 230 but with ‘The Diamond’ injured, Diaz has also been pulled from the card and will not seek a short notice opponent.
Cormier (21-1, 1 NC) is currently the UFC light heavyweight and heavyweight champion but had not been expected to fight until a proposed title fight with Brock Lesnar next year. ‘DC’ claimed the heavyweight title with a knockout win over Stipe Miocic at UFC 226 in July of this year.
Lewis (21-5, 1 NC) meanwhile will enter UFC 230 following his knockout win over Alexander Volkov this past Saturday at UFC 229. ‘The Black Beast’ has won nine of his last ten at the heavyweight limit and is currently on a three-fight win streak.
UFC 230 is now scheduled to feature:
- Daniel Cormier vs. Derrick Lewis – heavyweight title fight
- Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman
- David Branch vs. Ronaldo Souza
- Israel Adesanya vs. Derek Brunson
- Jack Marshman vs. Karl Roberson
- Jason Knight vs. Jordan Rinaldi
- Matt Frevola vs. Lando Vannata
- Julio Arce vs. Sheymon Moraes
- Sultan Aliev vs. Lyman Good
- Shane Burgos vs. Kurt Holobaugh
- Brian Kelleher vs. Domingo Pilarte