After a no contest ending to their first fight and subsequent non-stop trash-talking between the two, Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier are about to run it back.
With confirmation from Alvarez himself, both the former lightweight champion and Dustin Poirier have agreed to face one another at UFC: Calgary on July 28th.
— Eddie Alvarez (@Ealvarezfight) May 10, 2018
Alvarez and Poirier first met at UFC 211 in a back-and-forth affair but the bout ended in a no contest in the second round after Alvarez landed an illegal knee. A rematch between the pair has been rumoured to headline UFC on Fox 30, but Alvarez has remained adamant that he would not fight the final bout on his existant contract without coming to terms on a new deal with the UFC.
Since their bout at UFC 211, Alvarez (29-5, 1 NC) has only fought once in the UFC but became the first man to defeat Justin Gaethje at UFC 218. ‘The Underground King’ is currently ranked #3 in the UFC’s 155 lbs rankings and is a former lightweight champion in both Bellator and the UFC.
Poirier (23-5, 1 NC) is currently on a two-fight win streak since facing Alvarez after recording back-to-back TKO victories over former champion Anthony Pettis and Justin Gaethje. ‘The Diamond’ has only lost once since returning to the lightweight division in 2015. Poirier is currently ranked #4 in the UFC’s lightweight rankings.
UFC: Calgary is now set to feature:
- Eddie Alvarez vs. Dustin Poirier
- José Aldo vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Tecia Torres
- Alexis Davis vs. Katlyn Chookagian
- Randa Markos vs. Nina Ansaroff
- Matheus Nicolau vs. Dustin Ortiz
- Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs. Ion Cuțelaba
- Hakeem Dawodu vs. Austin Arnett
- Jordan Mein vs. Alex Morono
- John Makdessi vs. Ross Pearson
- Kajan Johnson vs. Islam Makhachev