UFC 215 will feature two title fights as both the flyweight and women’s bantamweight champion will defend their belts.
In the headline act, Demetrious Johnson will look to make history against Ray Borg as a victory for the champion will break Anderson Silva’s record for successful title defences in the UFC while UFC 213’s cancelled main event in Amanda Nunes vs Valentina Shevchenko will now take place two months later.
Both champions have recently drawn ire from UFC president Dana White after proposed title fights for the pair have fallen apart. Johnson received criticism from Dana White after pushing back on the president’s demands to defend his belt against T.J Dillashaw despite originally saying that he must fight Ray Borg. Once the UFC reneged their first option in favour of Dillashaw, Johnson asked for certain guarantees should Dillashaw fail to make weight but the UFC baulked at his demands sparking a war of words between the two.
Amanda Nunes meanwhile was publicly slammed by White for pulling out of UFC 213’s headline spot hours before the event’s start. Nunes cited a long-suffering case of sinusitis for her withdrawal but White felt that the Brazilian should have battled on after being ‘cleared’ by doctors.
With the September 9th event’s headliners set, the Edmonton, Canada event is set to feature:
- Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg – flyweight title fight
- Amanda Nunes vs. Valentina Shevchenko – women’s bantamweight title fight
- Francis Ngannou vs. Junior Dos Santos
- Gilbert Melendez vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Henry Cejudo vs. Wilson Reis
- Ilir Latifi vs. Tyson Pedro
- Sara McMann vs. Ketlen Vieira
- Rick Glenn vs. Gavin Tucker
- Ashlee Evans-Smith vs. Sarah Moras
- Arjan Bhullar vs. Luis Henrique
- Kajan Johnson vs. Adriano Martins